Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Bag in a day or so I thought

I’m back with some entertaining and fascinating things you can try, if you have some spare time.

This summer, since my son has been out of school, I had a few more hours in the day to use since I wasn’t driving him back and forth. First, I spent some time at the library picking up books on all subjects from sewing to history. Now mind you, I am not the historical person at all, but I did find some reads that helped me put the mid-1800‘s and early 1900’s into perspective.

Rewind; I was looking up history for fashion purposes at first. But as I read more, fashion trends of the times fell to the background and I was able to see how people lived and how different types of people would dress. Back then fashion was similar as were the times, still, there was a difference in what people wore whether by choice or not. So every few weeks I would pick up almost seven books, most of them were sewing related but like I said I did add new ones to the mix. This first book I picked up (pictured below), I thought hey this looks interesting, maybe there is something pretty in here, simply judging from the cover. When I returned home and into the next day; I looked through the pages of all the different types of bags. The visuals are what got me to bring the thing home in the first place. The next day I started reading the directions for some of the ones I liked. One was a large tote, another a zip clutch and the last was a bucket purse.


Oh, I didn’t tell you… I REALLY like purses. At one time I had a decent collection; you know one of every color to match clothes in my closet. Your welcome Salvation Army and Goodwill! Nowadays, I am more concerned with function. The bag has to have a useable feature/ functional purpose for at least several months to the cut. That’s why trying this make a bag thing seemed like a good idea. Also as a seamstress, designer and stylist, I try to challenge myself and add new things into what I make. I make slot of clothes and this seemed like a nice break from my daily routine.

It was a Saturday morning, two weeks ago when I decided to start the bucket bag. I went to Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby to get all the materials I would use and need including purse feet. Several hours later I returned home supplies in and began. No problem the first few sections went off without a hitch. So I keep going; thinking YEAH I can so do this! And I did keep going. I worked the rest of the day on this thing. I had to stop to let the glue dry for the tabs that hold the straps. I decided then to put in the grommet holes for the drawstring.

Arrggg! This is when it became frustrating. You have to hammer in these things good for them to hold. In the past, I did maybe two snaps for a top and it was easier, they were small and went together rather quickly. For this purse, which is made of a mid-weight black vinyl the holes 8 to 10 holes and grommets took two hours. My body was starting to ache because I had been sitting on the floor with this since I started. By now I am eight hours in with more to go. I call it a night.

The next day I start on the heavyweight snaps for the straps. Those went in a lot better than my grommets. Anyway, following the remainder of the directions I was able to get the purse assembled that day. The next day one of my grommets slipped out of place so I glued it back in place. For me, this was a two and a half day process.



 
  The Back Inside

 
Not bad for my first try at this! I think she looks sleek and pretty.

I would definitely try to make another purse or bag again. I just have to get used to all of the little steps in the process. If you have about a day or two or three, try this let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment