Thursday, June 30, 2016

Silk

The Red Orange Silk Halter Top
 
Silk fabric to me is always fashionable and timeless. It’s one of those special types of fabrics that has extra care written all over it. I could give you a detailed history about silk, but you can Google it for yourself. Some important things I want you to know though is:
You cannot treat it the same as cotton, which is also a natural fiber. Silk comes from the fibers of the silkworm’s cocoon and is woven into fabric. Then it is dyed in various colors.

Silk is used for many things like dresses, tops, pants, jackets and more. There is also silk thread, which I found is like many other fabric threads in that it comes in many colors, but it is not as strong as cotton and polyester threads. It can be and is used in sewing garments but I would say if you have an item that is 100% silk please be careful with it.

The top I showed you last month with my silk skirt…remember that?
Well here it is again just in case.
I made this top to go with a matching skirt but when I made the tapered mini I had to line it up with this top.

For this top I used a vintage pattern 1365 by Simplicity. As you can tell from the pictures I made a couple of tweeks. It’s a beauty and one of my favorites.
I have several colors of silk here; perhaps I will make another in a different color. The pattern was pretty simple, as always though I make my adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment